Basjes Zippo Collection

1974 USS John F. Kennedy












Town & Country




Table Lighters



Date Your Zippo



Other Passions




small product photo   small product photo    

USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), formerly CVA-67, is a decommissioned supercarrier of the United States Navy. Nicknamed "Big John", she was named after the 35th President of the United States, John F. Kennedy. Kennedy was originally designated a CVA, or strictly an air combat ship; however, the designation was changed to CV to denote that the ship was capable of anti-submarine warfare (ASW), making her an all-purpose carrier.

Kennedy held her decommissioning ceremony on 23 March 2007 at Mayport, Florida. 18 months short of 40 years service in the United States Navy. She was officially decommissioned on 1 August 2007 leaving the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) as the US Navy's only conventionally-powered carrier remaining in commission.

Ship history

The ship's keel was laid on 22 October 1964. She was christened 27 May 1967 by Jacqueline Kennedy and her 9-year-old daughter, Caroline at Newport News, Virginia, and entered service 7 September 1968. John F. Kennedy is a modified version of the earlier Kitty Hawk-class aircraft carriers. Kennedy was ordered as a nuclear carrier, using the A3W reactor, but converted to conventional propulsion after construction had begun. The island is somewhat different from the Kitty Hawk class, with angled funnels to direct smoke and gases away from the flight deck.


Kennedy's maiden voyage, and several of her subsequent voyages, were on deployments to the Mediterranean during much of the 1970s to help deal with the steadily deteriorating situation in the Middle East. It was during the 1970s that the Kennedy was upgraded to handle the F-14 Tomcat and the S-3 Viking.

In 1974, she won the Marjorie Sterrett Battleship Fund Award for the Atlantic Fleet.

On 22 November 1975, Kennedy collided with USS Belknap (CG-26), severely damaging the smaller ship and earning itself the nickname "Can Opener."

On 14 September 1976, while conducting a nighttime underway replenishment 100 miles north of Scotland, the USS Bordelon (DD-881) lost control and collided with Kennedy, resulting in such severe damage to the destroyer that she was removed from service in 1977.

In late 1978, the ship underwent her first, yearlong overhaul, which was completed in 1979 without incident. In 1979, she won her second Marjorie Sterrett Battleship Fund Award.



In 1982, the ship sailed on her ninth deployment, and her first visit to the Indian Ocean after transiting the Suez Canal. During this tour Kennedy played host to the first visit of the Somali head of state.

In Oct 1983 Kennedy was diverted to Beirut, Lebanon from its planned Indian Ocean deployment, after the Beirut barracks bombing took the lives of 241 US Military personal taking part in the Multinational Force in Lebanon, and spent the rest of that year and early 1984 patrolling the region. On Dec. 4 1983 10 A-6 aircraft from the Kennedy along with A-6 and A-7 aircraft from USS Independence took part in a bombing raid over Beirut, in response to two US F-14 Aircraft being fired upon the previous day. The Navy lost two aircraft during the raid, an A-7E from the Independence and an A-6E from the Kennedy, were shot down by SAM's. The A-7E pilot was picked up by a fishing boat, however the A-6E pilot Lt. Mark Lange was killed and the B/N Lt. Robert Goodman was taken prisoner. Lt. Goodman was released January 3, 1984, after negotiations by Rev. Jesse Jackson.

In 1984, the ship was drydocked at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard for a complex overhaul and much needed upgrades. Setting sail in July 1986, Kennedy participated in the International Naval Review to help mark the Re-dedication of the Statue of Liberty. Kennedy served as the flagship for the armada before departing on an overseas deployment to the Mediterranean in August - highlighted by multiple Freedom of Navigation exercises in the Libya's Gulf of Sidra, and operations off of the coast of Lebanon as a result of increasing terrorist activities and U.S. citizens being taken hostage in Beirut. The ship returned to Norfolk, Va in March 1987.

In August 1988, Kennedy departed on her twelfth overseas deployment. During this deployment, a pair of MiG-23 'Flogger E' fighter bombers from Libya approached the carrier task force which was 130km off the shore of Libya near the declared Libyan territorial waters of the Gulf of Sidra. The approaching MiGs prompted two Kennedy-launched F-14 Tomcats to intercept the incoming MiGs. Although the U.S. planes were sent to escort the MiGs away from the task force peacefully, what developed was a shooting match between the U.S. and Libyan aircraft, which resulted in both of the Libyan aircraft being shot down.


Kennedy returned to the U.S. in time to participate in Fleet Week in New York and 4 July celebrations in Boston before unexpectedly being mobilized in August 1990 for Operation Desert Shield. Despite having little to no warning, Kennedy prepared for her deployment overseas, where she arrived in September 1990 and became the flagship for the commander of the Red Sea Battle Force. On 16 January 1991, Kennedy's Carrier Air Wing 3 commenced operations against Iraqi forces as part of Operation Desert Storm. Between the commencement of the operation and the cease-fire, Kennedy launched 114 airstrikes and nearly 2,900 sorties against Iraq, which delivered over 3.5 million pounds of ordnance.

On 27 February 1991 President George H. W. Bush declared a cease-fire in Iraq, and ordered all U.S. forces to stand down. With the presidential cease-fire in place the Kennedy was relieved, and began the long journey home by transiting the Suez Canal. She arrived in Norfolk 28 March 1991 and received the greatest homecoming celebration since World War II. While at Norfolk the ship was placed on a four month selective restricted availability period as the shipyard workers set about fixing the ship. Extensive repairs to the flight deck were made, as well as to maintenance and engineering systems. Additionally, the ship was refitted to handle the new F/A-18C/D Hornet.

With the upgrades completed, Kennedy departed on her 14th deployment to the Mediterranean, assisting several task forces with workup exercises in anticipation of intervention in Yugoslavia. When Kennedy returned she was sent to the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, where she underwent a two year extensive overhaul. Upon the completion of the overhaul the ship was transferred to the Mayport Naval Station near Jacksonville, Florida, which remains the ship's home port.

The JFK made a high-profile visit to Dublin during an Atlantic deployment in 1996. Here, more than 10,000 people were invited to tour the ship at anchor in Dublin Bay. The visit was also intended to honor two personalities who made a great impact on US history - John F Kennedy, for whom the ship was named, and Commodore John Barry. Barry was a Co Wexford native who played an instrumental role in the early years of the US Navy. Officers and crew from the Kennedy joined local military and civilian organizations in celebrating Barry's achievements at his statue in Crescent Quay, Wexford, and three F-14 Tomcat fighters flew at low level over the town. Her Excellency Ms Jean Kennedy Smith, a sister of John F Kennedy, was the US ambassador to Ireland at this time and was among those to welcome the ship to Ireland.

During its visit to Ireland, high winds in Dublin Bay caused the boarding pontoon to tear a large hole into the JFK's hull.

Kennedy's 15th Mediterranean deployment was uneventful, and she returned in time to participate in Fleet Week '98 in New York City.

Kennedy's 16th deployment, however, was eventful. Kennedy became involved in a rescue mission when the tug Gulf Majesty foundered during Hurricane Floyd in mid-September 1999. The ship successfully rescued the crew of the vessel, then headed toward the Middle East, where she became the first U.S. aircraft carrier to make a port call in Al Aqabah, Jordan, in the process playing host to the King of Jordan, before taking up station in support of Operation Southern Watch.

Kennedy was the only carrier underway at the end of 1999, arriving at Mayport on 19 March 2000. After a brief period of maintenance, the carrier sailed north to participate in 4 July International Naval Review (see also Naval review), then headed to Boston for Sail Boston 2000.



During Kennedy's last round of refits the ship became a testbed for an experimental system for the Cooperative Engagement Capability, a system that allowed Kennedy to engage targets beyond its original range.

In 2001, during a pre-deployment trial, the Kennedy was found to be severely deficient in some respects, especially those relating to air group operations; most problematic, two aircraft catapults and three aircraft elevators were non-functional during inspection, and two boilers would not light. As a result, her captain and two department heads were relieved for cause.

As the events of September 11, 2001 attacks unfolded, Kennedy and her battle group were ordered to support Operation Noble Eagle, establishing air security along the mid-Atlantic seaboard, including Washington, D.C.. JFK was released from Noble Eagle on 14 September 2001.

During the first six months of 2002, Kennedy aircraft dropped 31,000 tons of ordnance on Taliban and al Qaeda targets.

In July 2004, Kennedy collided with a dhow in the Gulf, leaving no survivors on the traditional Arab sailing boat. After the incident the Navy relieved the commander of the Kennedy, CAPT Stephen B. Squires. The carrier itself was unscathed, but two jet fighters on the deck were damaged when one slid into the other as the ship made a hard turn to avoid the tiny vessel. A popular misconception is that CAPT Squires waited to make the turn at the last possible moment to recover aircraft returning from airstrikes that were critically low on fuel. The official review board determined this was not the case and the aircraft could have remained safely aloft until the Kennedy maneuvered to avoid the dhow.

Budget cutbacks and changing naval tactics, combined with the facts that the Kennedy was the most costly carrier in the fleet to maintain and that she was due for an expensive overhaul, prompted the U.S. Navy to retire the Kennedy. On 1 April 2005, the Navy formally announced that the carrier's scheduled 15-month overhaul had been canceled.

Before decommissioning she made a number of stops to allow the public to "say farewell" to her, including a stop at her "homeport" Boston Harbor. She was decommissioned in Mayport, Florida on 23 March 2007.

The ship's unique in-port cabin, which was decorated by Jacqueline Kennedy with wood paneling, oil paintings, and rare artifacts, was disassembled and will be rebuilt at the National Museum of Naval Aviation at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida. As of 30 March 2008, the cabin has not yet been rebuilt for display.

The Kennedy was towed to Norfolk, Va on 26 July 2007. She remained in Norfolk until a shoaled area near Pier 4 in Philadelphia could be dredged to enable the ship to safely dock. On 17 March 2008 at about 1700, she was seen leaving Norfolk Naval Station under tow of the Tug Atlantic Salvor. On 22 March 2008 Kennedy arrived, with the afternoon high tide, at the Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility in Philadelphia. She will be mothballed in Philadelphia until the Navy decides the final fate of the ship.


Commanding Officers

  • CAPT Earl Yates 7 September 1968 – 3 September 1969

  • CAPT Julian Lake 3 September 1969 – 4 September 1970

  • CAPT Ferdinand Koch 4 September 1970 – 1 October 1971

  • CAPT Robert Gormley 1 October 1971 – 30 November 1972

  • CAPT John Dixon Jr. 30 November 1972 – 24 May 1974

  • CAPT William Gureck 24 May 1974 – 29 November 1975

  • CAPT John Mitchell 29 November 1975 – 14 May 1977

  • CAPT Jerry O. Tuttle 14 May 1977 – 27 November 1978

  • CAPT Lowell Myers 27 November 1978 – 27 June 1980

  • CAPT Diego Hernandez 27 June 1980 – 29 August 1981

  • CAPT D. Bruce Cargill 29 August 1981 – 14 April 1983

  • CAPT Gary Wheatley 14 April 1983 – 5 September 1984

  • CAPT William McGowen 5 September 1984 – 1 May 1986

  • CAPT John Moriarty 1 May 1986 – 29 January 1988

  • CAPT Hugh Wisely 29 January 1988 – 27 May 1989

  • CAPT Herbert Browne 27 May 1989 – 7 December 1990

  • CAPT John Gay 7 December 1990 – 6 March 1992

  • CAPT Timothy Beard 6 March 1992 – 24 June 1993

  • CAPT J. R. Hutchison 24 June 1993 – 27 January 1995

  • CAPT Jerald Hoewing 27 January 1995 – 15 July 1996

  • CAPT Edward Fahy 15 July 1996 – 9 December 1997

  • CAPT Robin Weber 9 December 1997 – 6 August 1999

  • CAPT Michael Miller 6 August 1999 – 23 October 2000

  • CAPT Maurice Joyce 23 October 2000 – 13 December 2001

  • CAPT Johnny Green 13 December 2001 – 12 February 2002

  • CAPT Ronald Henderson Jr. 12 February 2002 – 8 April 2004

  • CAPT Stephen Squires 8 April 2004 – 27 August 2004

  • CAPT John Miller 27 August 2004 – 5 October 2004

  • CAPT Dennis Fitzpatrick 5 October 2004 – 26 May 2006

  • CAPT Todd A. Zecchin 26 May 2006 – 23 March 2007


_© 2007-2008